We are committed to providing homeowners with a unique lifestyle - innovatively designed modern homes built in an environmentally conscious manner. Our projects are planned and designed with the following principles:
- smartly conceived: not only employing passive solar benefits but wisely using the site’s topography for maximum spatial benefit.
- utilize multiple green materials: from FSC certified woods, to renewable materials such as lime plaster, bamboo + more.
- innovate with green technologies: use for example pre-fabricated factory built panels - superior wood quality that also promotes less waste during site construction - 3%.vs, typical 50-75%.
- strive for maximum energy efficiency: using multiple approaches: solar technologies, energy efficient appliances, and high efficiency green insulating materials.
- promote a healthy environment: utilize green products such as low voc paint, but also other features such as whole home air purification system and vacuum system to improve air quality.
- use less water: through low water fixtures and in our low water and low maintenance landscape that use indigenous plants that are more suitable for local conditions.
“It’s been an arduous 3 years. - much more daunting than we ever imagined.”
• building two homes on a steep hillside
• in a town not used to modern architecture
• where neighbors don’t like change
• where new construction is a rarity
• sustainable construction adds more complexity
Liz Miranda and Tim Rempel: Developer
Tim Rempel: Architect
Liz Miranda and Tim Rempel are the wife and husband team that developed and launched the sustainable real estate development company Greenpads in 2004. 5th Street pads, their first in-fill sustainable project consisted of 6 live/work and residential units built near the popular shops of 4th Street, Berkeley. The project received green/sustainable and design awards and also achieved record sale prices.
See our work at www.greenpads.com
Cazneaupads is the second project built in Sausalito of two homes that introduce new green sustainable features beyond what was employed on 5th Street. Liz is the partner responsible for guiding the development process, schedule and final market delivery. Tim leads the design and construction. They work hand in hand from inception to project completion, keeping quality and detail as their foremost concerns
Liz has over 25 years experience in the design profession: Creative Director for such firms as Chevron, and Gift- Chronicle Books where she developed over 250+ ancillary book titles. She's authored, packaged books and publishing strategies for Disney, National Design Museum, Library of Congress and others. As a. Senior Branding Strategist at Landor, she stewarded brand programs for Agilent, Visa and Ebel. She's developed creative work: 2d/ 3d and brand strategies for Bank of America, Mervyns, Presidio Trust/NJHAS Museum, and BART.
Tim Rempel has practiced architecture in the Bay Area for over 20 years. Rempel Architects espouses a modernist approach to designing sustainable residential and commercial buildings and interiors. The practice focuses on innovative exploration of materials and building methods in their design expression. Tim has consulted locally and internationally on development projects.
Tim is also a furniture designer and expert woodworker whose hands-on experience with custom fabrication has lead to an emphasis on craft and detail expression in his work. Tim has taught, lectured and given class critiques at UC Berkeley, CCA, and Rice University.
John Newell Construction, Berkeley
KDSE, Kevin Donahue Structural Engineer, Berkeley
Excavation / Drainage
All Terrain Engineering Contractors, Pt. Richmond
Deluxe Concrete, Santa Rosa
Sustainable Panelized Framing
Forma Home Systems, Nevada
Trans Pacific National Bank, Alameda